Shazam Movie 2019 is a 2019 American superhero film based on the DC Comics character of the same name. Produced by New Line Cinemaand distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures, it is the seventh installment in the DC Extended Universe (DCEU). Directed by David F. Sandberg from a screenplay by Henry Gayden, and a story by Gayden and Darren Lemke, the film stars Asher Angel as Billy Batson, a teenage boy who can transform into an adult superhero, played by Zachary Levi. Mark Strong and Jack Dylan Grazer also star.
Shazam Movie 2019 Official Trailer
- Asher Angel and Zachary Levi as William “Billy” Batson / Shazam, respectively: A troubled teenaged boy who is chosen as the “Champion of Eternity”. Given powers by an ancient wizard, he transforms into an adult with superpowers when he calls the sorcerer’s name. Batson is chosen as the new Champion, eons after the Council of Eternity selected another hero, who eventually killed all of the Council except for Shazam. The powers given from the ancient wizard to Batson include gifts bestowed upon the sorcerer from various others. These powers include: the Wisdom of Solomon, the Strength of Hercules, the Stamina of Atlas (near-limitless resilience), the Power of Zeus (lightning control and magical resistance), the Courage of Achilles (near indestructibility), and the Speed of Mercury (also provides flight). The production team saw over one hundred candidates for Shazam before casting Levi, who originally auditioned to play Freddy Freeman’s adult superhero alter-ego before being asked to audition and test for the lead. Angel, cast as Billy, shot his scenes for Shazam! in-between his commitments to the Disney Channel series Andi Mack.
- David Kohlsmith as 4-year-old William “Billy” Batson.
- Mark Strong as Dr. Thaddeus Sivana: A physicist who had grown up as an outcast in his wealthy family. Sivana himself was summoned by the Wizard Shazam as a child, but was not chosen as his champion, leading Sivana to spend his life trying to unlock the secret to return to the Rock of Eternity.
- Ethan Pugiotto as Young Thaddeus Sivana.
- Jack Dylan Grazer as Frederick “Freddy” Freeman: Billy’s foster brother and best friend, a disabled, nerdy superhero enthusiast who is the only person who knows that he is Shazam.
- Adam Brody portrays Freddy’s adult superhero alter-ego.
- Djimon Hounsou as Shazam: An ancient wizard seeking a successor, who bestows his powers on Billy Batson so that he can magically transform into an adult superhero. Hounsou previously portrayed Ricou, the King of the Fishermen, in Aquaman.
- Faithe Herman as Darla Dudley: Billy’s youngest foster sibling at his new home, an energetic and effusive little girl.
- Meagan Good portrays Darla’s adult superheroine alter-ego.
- Grace Fulton as Mary Bromfield: Billy’s foster sister at his new home, the “den mother” who helps take care of the other kids and is debating attending college in California.
- Michelle Borth portrays Mary’s adult superheroine alter-ego.
- Ian Chen as Eugene Choi: Billy’s foster brother at his new home, an obsessive gaming enthusiast and budding techie.
- Ross Butler portrays Eugene’s adult superhero alter-ego.
- Jovan Armand as Pedro Peña: Billy’s foster brother at his new home, a shy, sensitive kid who has trouble opening up.
- D. J. Cotrona portrays Pedro’s adult superhero alter-ego.
- Marta Milans as Rosa Vasquez: The foster mother of the group home where Billy and his friends live.
- Cooper Andrews as Victor Vasquez: The foster father of the group home where Billy and his friends live.
On March 13, 2019, Warner Bros. Entertainment announced that they were teaming up with Fandango for exclusive preview screenings on March 23, two weeks before release, on 1,200 select screens and 40 exhibition circuits.[
Shazam! premiered in Toronto on March 15, 2019, and was theatrically released in the United States by Warner Bros. Entertainment in RealD 3D, Dolby Cinema and IMAX 3Don April 5, 2019